By joining the Greenville Humane Society Volunteer Program, you will become a part of a large community of people who genuinely care about finding homes for animals in the Greenville Community. Our volunteers are hardworking, dedicated, passionate, kind, and not afraid to get their hands dirty!
- All volunteers must be 18 or older
- Prospective volunteers must fill out an application. All volunteers are accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- All volunteers must go through an orientation session prior to beginning their volunteer services
- We ask all of our volunteers to make a minimum 6-month commitment to serve the animals in our care, at least once a week
- We do not fulfill court-ordered or pre-trial intervention community service hours. This rule includes all regular and alternate volunteer opportunities including hours awarded for item donations and fostering pets.
We offer various volunteer opportunities to fit all different skillsets. We’re always in need of volunteers for helping keep our facility healthy and clean, socializing future companions, and providing support at events in the community. We offer a variety of opportunities to help animals that work with your preferences and flexible schedules.
Assist the Greenville Humane Society with tasks including washing dishes and toys, ensuring laundry is clean and folded, preparing newspaper to line kennels, and helping keep the facility healthy and clean. Additional opportunities such as bathing puppies, socializing cats, preparing surgery supplies, packing foster supplies, and rocking sick puppies are available for Fear Free Graduates.
Take adult dogs on walks to provide exercise and add enjoyment to their time at the Greenville Humane Society, work on simple commands and leash walking skills, and socialize them with humans as well as other animals.
Assist the Greenville Humane Society staff members in public settings including events and other meetings. This role is responsible for representing the Greenville Humane Society at on- and off-site events and establishing good will in the community. Special Event Volunteers are expected to take ownership of an adoptable pet at these events in an effort to find them their forever home. All Special Event Volunteers must be approved by the Volunteer Manager and must be Fear Free Certified.
Want to get involved, but your time constraints don’t fit with GHS’s schedule? No problem! There are plenty of ways you can help pets in our care. Explore alternate volunteer opportunities below.
As a Foster Parent, you will receive 8 volunteer hours per day when caring for one of our sick animals. Please let our Healing Place Manager know that you need hours and she will be able to approve them after the fostering period.
Check out our wish lists! These are items that we need donated to our facility on a regular basis. We award 1 hour per every five items donated from our lists. Donations can be dropped off at our Adoption Center during normal business hours.
There are plenty of fun crafts that you can make at home and bring in to the Greenville Humane Society–we call these “animal advocate” activities. Each craft is tied to a certain number of volunteer hours. See the PDF below for more ideas and information.
During an onsite group volunteer experience, your group will be hands-on at our facility completing tasks that will directly benefit the animals in our care. Some of our typical tasks you may perform include:
– Unfolding Newspaper for Puppies and Kittens
– Opening Syringes and Preparing Paper Collars
– Putting Together E-Collars for Post-Surgery Pets
– Making Peanut Butter Kongs for Animals
– Preparing Individual Flea/Tick/Heartworm Packets
– Folding Laundry/Washing Dishes in our Volunteer Room
– Helping with Mail by Stamping and Sealing Envelopes
– This opportunity is available Monday – Wednesday from 1 pm – 3 pm.
Service Saturdays is a new program created so teens can get involved with the Greenville Humane Society! Spend a Saturday volunteering and earn service hours.
– This program is designed for ages 8-12 and 13-17. Please ensure you are signing your child up for the appropriate session.
– Each child must have a release signed and dated by parent for each Saturday attended.
– No late arrivals. No early departures.
– Wish List items will be posted each month. Any child bringing five wish list items will receive double service hours for this Saturday.
– Any child attending all dates and earning more than 40 hours is eligible to receive a recommendation letter suitable for school and will be entered in a drawing for a special prize.
– There is a nonrefundable registration donation of $30 for each Saturday, which must be paid at time of registration.
Volunteer Application Process
Orientations are now open!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Greenville Humane Society. New volunteer orientations are once again open! If you are interested in volunteering, please complete our volunteer application below.
After submitting your application, our volunteer coordinator will review it within 2-5 business days. If your application is approved, you will then be required to attend a Volunteer Orientation Session where you will learn all of the important information required to be a successful volunteer at our facility. Upon registering for orientation, a small fee is required to help offset the cost of training and volunteer materials (volunteer t-shirt, volunteer handbook, and leash if required).
Your volunteer application will remain on file for 60 days, giving you two months to attend an orientation session. After 60 days have passed, you will be required to reapply.