Foster care is temporary care and shelter for one of our animals that is either too small, sick, injured or needs socialization.
We are looking for kind, patient, adult volunteers to care for these pets. Animals are placed in foster care for a set period of time (average of 2 weeks) and later returned to the Greenville Humane Society for adoption. For the duration of foster care, the Greenville Humane Society provides food, any necessary medications, crate, a collar and leash (for dogs), a pet carrier (for cats) and training for the volunteer. All the foster needs to provide are love, attention and proper care for the pet.
The Foster Manager can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at (864) 263-5605.
A foster program volunteer must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have current pets spayed/neutered.
- Have current pets up to date on vaccinations.
- Have appropriate facilities to house the animal.
- Live in a house/apartment where pets are allowed.
- Complete an application and submit it to the Greenville Humane Society.
- Be able to bring the foster animal to the Humane Society for scheduled appointments.
- Understand that all animals remain the property of the Greenville Humane Society and must be returned for medical care and adoption.
Foster Program Volunteer Responsibilities
- Provide a loving and nurturing environment for the foster animal.
- Feed, medicate and groom the foster animal as instructed by the Greenville Humane Society.
- Isolate owned animals from the foster animal for at least 10 days, unless specifically given permission from the Greenville Humane Society to do otherwise.
- Ensure the safety of the foster animal.
- Observe and report any changes in behavior, health or temperament to the Greenville Humane Society (864-263-5605).
- Keep the foster animal under your care for the designated time period unless an agreement is made with the Greenville Humane Society.
- Understand that the Greenville Humane Society retains ownership of the animal and that all potential adopters must go through Greenville Humane Society adoption procedures.