Creating Your Legacy In Greenville
How we treat all living things says a lot about ourselves and a lot about our community. By leaving a planned gift to the Greenville Humane Society, you are helping to provide a clean, safe and caring environment for our dogs and cats that are in need of a second…and sometimes first chance.
Most rewarding of all, these dogs and cats provide love, companionship and emotional sustenance to the humans who take them home. Those who choose to adopt a pet benefit every bit as much as the pet does.
We all know that heart-wrenching feeling when we see a neglected animal. And we all know the wonderful feeling when we see a child or elderly person engaged with an animal. Your legacy will help reduce the neglect and increase the engagement for countless dogs and cats.
Leaving the Greenville Humane Society in your Will or Trust automatically makes you a member of our Legacy Society. The Greenville Humane Legacy Society was created to recognize those special and compassionate individuals whose planned gifts help ensure a humane and loving future for the homeless animals in our care.
How Can I Become a Legacy Society Member?
- Name the Greenville Humane Society as a beneficiary in a Will or Living Trust
- Make a gift of cash or appreciated securities to the Greenville Humane Society
- Name the Greenville Humane Society as the beneficiary of a paid life insurance policy or retirement assets
Bequest Through Your Will or Living Trust
By adding a bequest provision in your will or living trust, you can provide now for a future gift to the Greenville Humane Society. There are several ways to create such a provision:
- Leave a specific dollar amount
- Designate a percentage of your estate be given
- Give only the remainder, or residue, of your estate – that which remains after bequests to loved ones have been made
- Provide for a gift of specific property – real estate, stocks or other items
Giving in this manner offers a number of benefits:
- You can modify your bequest if your circumstances change
- You can designate that a bequest be used for the general purposes of the Greenville Humane Society or go to support a specific program
Sample Bequest Language: I give the Greenville Humane Society, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization the sum of $______. The Greenville Humane Society is located at 305 Airport Road, Greenville, SC 29607. The federal tax ID is ____________.
Gift of Retirement Assets
Naming the Greenville Humane Society as a beneficiary of your 401(K), IRA or other qualified plan is a great way to give. Any residual funds left in your plan when you pass away goes to our facility tax-free! You can also choose to leave your retirement plan assets to the Greenville Humane Society through your will or revocable trust.
There are several reasons to make this kind of gift:
- You forego both income and estate tax levied on the residual left in your retirement account by leaving it to the Greenville Humane Society
- You can continue to make withdrawals during your lifetime
- You can change your beneficiary if your circumstances change
Gifts of Life Insurance
One can transfer ownership of paid-up life insurance policy to the Greenville Humane Society. Our organization can choose to either cash in the policy immediately or receive the death benefits later.
A gift of life insurance allows the donor to receive gift credits and an immediate income tax deduction for the cash surrender value of the policy.
Greenville Humane Society Information
South Carolina Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
305 Airport Road, Greenville, SC 29601
Federal Tax ID:
501 (c) (3) nonprofit