Need to surrender your pet? Now is the best time of year for adoptions! No appointment necessary, walk-ins are welcome!
*Please note we are currently on a waitlist for adult cats. All pets 6 months and older require a $25 fee to surrender. Please contact our admissions manager at 864-263-5607 to make an appointment or be placed on the waiting list.
We understand there are circumstances where finding your pet a new home may seem like the best option… In the event you can no longer care for your pet, contact our Admissions department to discuss the possibility of surrendering it to the Greenville Humane Society for adoption.
While we would love to accept all animals, for the safety of our animals and staff we are unable to accept the following:
- Stray animals: Pet owners need one central facility where they can search for their lost pet. The county-run shelter, Greenville County Animal Care Services (GCACS), performs this function. They are located at 328 Furman Hall Rd., or you can call (864) 467-3950.
- Kittens that weigh less than 1.8 pounds
- Animals with known aggression problems or behavioral disturbances, which would prevent them from being adopted
- Animals that have bitten someone
- Animals with known contagious or fatal diseases
- Pit-Bulls or Pit-Bull mixes
For more information about these policies, please see the Surrender FAQs
How do I surrender a pet?
Walk-ins welcome, or schedule an appointment to avoid a wait. Please understand that as a limited-access, no-kill facility, we do not have room for all animals.
- Call (864) 263-5607 –OR– email Admissions@greenvillehumane.com
We do our best to provide convenient hours to serve the Greenville community. Although walk-ins are welcome, you may schedule an appointment to avoid a wait.
- Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- A $25 fee is required to surrender a pet 6 months of age or older. Pets under 6 months of age can be surrendered FREE of charge, however, donations are greatly appreciated. This fee will cover the costs of the various tests your pet will undergo during the appointment process.
- Note: an appointment does not guarantee that your pet will be accepted into our Adoption program. All pets must undergo and pass our medical and behavior evaluations.
Items to bring to your appointment:
- Your pet (cats must be in a carrier & dogs must be leashed)
- Print and complete a Dog Personality Profile for your dog or a Cat Personality Profile for your cat and bring it with you.
- Past veterinary/ medical records
- Any medications the pet is taking
The appointment process
- The appointment will take approximately 30 minutes.
- We will conduct a short interview with you and review your pet’s Personality Profile and medical records.
- Your pet will undergo a temperament and medical evaluation.
- If we are able to accept your pet at that time, you will be required to sign an agreement granting Greenville Humane Society legal ownership of the animal.
- If we are unable to accept your pet, we are happy to counsel you about other options and placement alternatives.